Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Monday, July 11th - Hurray for Haggis!

To get from Edinburgh from London takes about 9 hours. We considered renting a car and driving, which would allow us to stop at sights along the way and take our time, but considering the short amount of time we had in Scotland in the end we opted to take a 3 day bus tour. To get to Edinburgh, we booked an overnight bus through National Express. During the summer, National Express has a deal where you can book your trip for just 9 pounds as long as it’s 14 days in advance, which is a great deal compared to the 39 euros we would have had to pay otherwise. (Pay the extra pound for priority boarding, there’s no assigned seating on the bus and people arrive super early and crush the line, so it’s definitely worth it if you want to actually sit next to your travel buddy.) The bus left at 11pm, it was a 9 hour ride, and our tour was scheduled to leave at 8:45am the next morning. It was cutting it close, but it was our only choice, and we like to live dangerously. Also by taking an overnight bus, we saved on a night’s hotel.

*SuperNova Travel Tip:  If you are taking an overnight bus, you should be 20 years old. You will not sleep well and if you’re like us, you’ll be off and running as soon as you arrive. If you can’t manage to be 20 years old, take a Tylenol PM and dress warmly (they had the air conditioner on “because it’s summer” regardless of the fact that we were in the UK and it was the middle of the night).

We booked a Haggis Adventure (www.haggisadventures.com) 3 Day Isle of Skye tour. I would absolutely recommend this tour company. The buses are clean, the guides are knowledgeable, and they fit in a good deal of stops and sights. I was a little worried at first because on the website it says that it caters to the 18-35 crowd (and we’re at the very end of that crowd) and you spend the night in hostels. However, if you book in advance, you can request a private room (we booked too late for that, all the private rooms were booked, but they did reserve us a room for 4, so it was private to our group). If you end up in a bunk bed (as we did), just reminisce about the good old days of summer camp. I resisted the urge to write “SuperNova was here” on the wall next to my bunk.

Because this was one of the things that we’d booked in advance, and because I am organized (other people use another term, but I prefer “organized”), I’d printed a map so we’d know how to walk from the bus station to the tour office. And because the universe frowns upon such preparedness, the map was utterly useless. I still have no idea why. I tend to believe that Google Maps was simply messing with us. However, we found the office (by asking strangers) in time to check in and get some Starbucks (mmm, traditional Scottish Starbucks) before boarding our bus.

Did I mention the rain?  England had been overcast, but still pretty nice. When we woke up in Scotland, it was pouring (surprise).  Unfortunately, I didn’t pack a raincoat. At the risk of sounding like a 4 year old, I hate my raincoat and in all my summers in Europe, I have worn it once. I had a jacket and figured if it was that awful, I’d look for a jacket or umbrella in Scotland. So, we were in Scotland before the shops were open and it was pouring. However, by the time we’d all used the toilet, it had stopped. Huzzah!

*SuperNova Travel Reminder:  Fear not the word “toilet.” The US is pretty much the only country that calls it a “bathroom” or “restroom” and in most countries if you ask where the bathroom is, they will stand there wondering why you want to take a bath in the middle of a shopping mall. There are many different words for the room where the toilet is located, but the actual word “toilet” is understood clearly in every country I’ve ever been in. Especially if you accompany the question, “Toilet?” with a certain look in your eye. If the word toilet makes you uncomfortable, then hopefully by the time you’ve finish reading this tip you’ll be over it, since I mention it 47 times. Toilet.

Our tour guide was a young guy named Andy, and yes, he wore a kilt. In traditional Scottish fashion, he was a fantastic storyteller and he helped pass the time on the bus by telling us stories about the Scottish history. The stories were interesting and informative and I felt badly that I kept passing out due to sleep deprivation and my carcolepsy (like narcolepsy, but only in the car). One thing that I really liked about this tour was that we stopped and got off the bus about every hour. I can’t tell you about every stop that we made because I don’t want to spoil it for you when you go, and not at all because I can’t remember them all.


Glen Coe
On the first day of our tour, we hiked up to the William Wallace memorial and Andy told us about all the inconsistencies and flat out lies in Braveheart, with only a modicum of personal rage.  After that, we stopped for a snack at a little tourist spot where we got to meet Hamish, the Hairy Coo, (we’d seen this term, “hairy coo,” on a number of signs and a bus, but had only our wild imaginations to guess at its meaning. Turns out “coo” is just how the Scottish say “cow.” They look like cows with skater hair.) and it was here that we had our first encounter with haggis. Being the brave culinary adventurers that we are, we all ordered a haggis roll (one per couple, let‘s not get crazy). I knew what was in haggis and was fully prepared to try a bite and then check the box in my mind that says “tried haggis.” I was pleasantly surprised to find that haggis is delicious! I see your skeptical looks, and I will admit that I pretend to like natto because it freaks Japanese people out, but we had haggis on a number of occasions and in a variety of ways and it was always good. (Although M and V went out to dinner one night and M got an entire plate of haggis and was done with it for a little while.)

We spent our first night on the Isle of Skye, which can be reached by bridge and is very picturesque. We ended our first night in Scotland with delightful pub food where I discovered that glories of Tennent's beer. The only really memorable feature of our hostel was that we each paid 4 pounds for breakfast and when we arrived downstairs there was only tea and toast and containers that had at one time held cereal and a small bowl that had maybe once held jam packets, but now only contained the worst marmalade in the history of time.



No comments:

Post a Comment